2016 Canadian Computing Competition

Problem J3: Hidden Palindrome

A palindrome is a word which is the same when read forwards as it is when read backwards. For example, mom and anna are two palindromes.

A word which has just one letter, such as a, is also a palindrome.

Given a word, what is the longest palindrome that is contained in the word? That is, what is the longest palindrome that we can obtain, if we are allowed to delete characters from the beginning and/or the end of the string?

Input Format

The input will consist of one line, containing a sequence of at least 1 and at most 40 lowercase letters.

Output Format

Output the total number of letters of the longest palindrome contained in the input word.

Sample Input 1

banana

Sample Output 1

Explanation 1

The palindrome anana has 5 letters.

Sample Input 2

abracadabra

Sample Output 2

Explanation 2

The palindromes aca and ada have 3 letters, and there are no other palindromes in the input which are longer.

Sample Input 3

abba

Sample Output 3

All Submissions
Best Solutions

Point Value: 5
Time Limit: 2.00s
Memory Limit: 16M
Added: Feb 22, 2016

Languages Allowed:
C++03, PAS, C, HASK, ASM, RUBY, PYTH2, JAVA, PHP, SCM, CAML, PERL, C#, C++11, PYTH3

Comments (Search)

Is the last test case output not 7?

It is not.

I would also like to point out that printing the input is very much so looked down upon. This is part of the reason why we clip your output (that is, we don't show you the full output).

I'm assuming it's bigger, but I'm not sure what's wrong with my code. Is it TLE or MLE?

If it were TLE or MLE, the judge would say so. You're just producing the wrong output.

Here's a hint: you're making an assumption about how palindromes work that isn't true. This is causing you to not even check the longest palindrome.