2012 Canadian Computing Competition, Stage 1

Problem J2: Sounds fishy!

A fish-finder is a device used by anglers to find fish in a lake. If the fish-finder finds a fish, it will sound an alarm. It uses depth readings to determine whether to sound an alarm. For our purposes, the fish-finder will decide that a fish is swimming past if:

• there are four consecutive depth readings which form a strictly increasing sequence (such as 3 4 7 9) (which we call "Fish Rising"), or
  • there are four consecutive depth readings which form a strictly decreasing sequence (such as 9 6 5 2) (which we call "Fish Diving"), or
  • there are four consecutive depth readings which are identical (which we call "Constant Depth").

All other readings will be considered random noise or debris, which we call "No Fish."

Your task is to read a sequence of depth readings and determine if the alarm will sound.

Sample Input

The input will be four positive integers, representing the depth readings. each integer will be on its own line of input.

Sample Output

The output is one of four possibilities. If the depth readings are increasing, then the output should be Fish Rising. If the depth readings are decreasing, then the output should be Fish Diving. If the depth readings are identical, then the output should be Fish At Constant Depth. Otherwise, the output should be No Fish.

Sample Input 1

Sample Output 1

No Fish

Sample Input 2

Sample Output 2

Fish Rising

All Submissions
Best Solutions

Point Value: 3
Time Limit: 2.00s
Memory Limit: 16M
Added: Feb 29, 2012

Languages Allowed:
C++03, PAS, C, HASK, ASM, RUBY, PYTH2, JAVA, TEXT, PHP, SCM, CAML, PERL, C#, C++11, PYTH3

Comments (Search)

Someone help me with my code. i dont understand what im missing

The sample inputs dont have periods

They are not supposed to.

I'm not sure why you would think there might be periods in the input.

If you're referring to the output, the period inside the quotes in the fragment "No Fish." is just a grammatical rule in English. You should not output periods.

my code is not working and i dont get it. HEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!

Fish At Constant Depth.

Test case #1: WA [0.006s, 2888K] (0/3) (Details)
Your Output
Constant Depth

it prints this
I
DONT GET IT

The correct output is
Fish At Constant Depth
. Right now, you are only printing
Constant Depth
, which is wrong.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS
thank u sooooooo much
i FINALLY finished it
YAY

...every detail... in fact... every point matters. LOL!!!

Could someone please tell me why my submission isn't working?

Please re-read the question. You are not properly outputting the answer.

I fixed it but its still having errors.

The problem statement is kind of evil. Use the sample output as reference, not the bullet points. You will find your mistake there.

Please try to re-read the problem. There is a key part you are missing. My suggestion would be to read the ENTIRE problem before attempting to solve it. It leads to more success.

Reread Sample Output

The answer you have is not in the correct format