2005 Canadian Computing Competition, Stage 1

Problem J1: The Cell Sell

Moe Bull has a cell phone and after a month of use is trying to decide which price plan is the best for his usage pattern. He has two options, each plan has different costs for daytime minutes, evening minutes and weekend minutes.

Plan Costs
daytime evening weekend
A 100 free minutes then
25 cents per minute
15 cents per minute 20 cents per minute
B 250 free minutes then
45 cents per minute
35 cents per minute 25 cents per minute

Write a program that will input the number of each type of minutes and output the cheapest plan for this usage pattern, using the format shown below. The input will be in the order of daytime minutes, evening minutes and weekend minutes. In the case that the two plans are the same price, output both plans.

Sample Input 1

Sample Output 1

Plan A costs 51.25
Plan B costs 18.95
Plan B is cheapest.

Sample Input 2

Sample Output 2

Plan A costs 37.85
Plan B costs 37.85
Plan A and B are the same price.

Note: If you wish, you may output the prices in cents instead of dollars. For example, for Sample 1, you may output that "Plan A costs 5125 cents" and "Plan B costs 1895 cents".

All Submissions
Best Solutions

Point Value: 3
Time Limit: 2.00s
Memory Limit: 16M
Added: Sep 29, 2008

Problem Types: [Show]

Languages Allowed:
C++03, PAS, C, HASK, ASM, RUBY, PYTH2, JAVA, PHP, SCM, CAML, PERL, C#, C++11, PYTH3

Comments (Search)

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my code? It worked for all of the test cases on ideone, but I still get 0/30. confused.gif

Try checking the sample output and see if it EXACTLY matches the output (no extra words).

Thanks! ONE EXTRA PERIOD! Rip.

Please let me know what is wrong with the output of my code. It says clipped.

You aren't formatting your output correctly.

Additionally, note that the judge will only display a small portion of what your program outputs. This is so you can't write a program that just mirrors the test data, allowing you to get all the answers without actually solving the problem.

angel.gif Thankyou!!!

What is wrong with my code???

Your code had me going for a while. In general, it's really well done (though, you should never be storing money as floating point numbers, but that's another story). Anyway, check your output for when plan B is cheapest :)

Why my out put came like this
"Plan A costs 3725 ce"

It's because output is clipped. It's not everything that your program outputs.

why my program not run sucessfully?

You must match output exactly. You have an extra space before your number.